Welcome to the new decade.
Catching up with friends who are getting married, buying houses, having kids, etc. it's easy to feel like I'm behind in life.
But, when I think about the past decade and all of the adventures I've had, the places I've lived, and the person I've become I have no regrets.
Who else can relates to this?
One of the best and most formative experiences of the last 10 years was the six years I lived in Bhopal, India.
When I decided to go to Bhopal to enrolled in Engineering in 2012 I thought I would stay for a four year but I stayed for six.
My time in Bhopal was liberating, inspiring, and also frustrating. I became a much stronger person. I met some of the kindest and most sincere people. I learned a new incredibly challenging skills. I learned so much about metro life style and modern culture.
In my travels I saw how diverse and beautiful Bhopal is. I was fortunate to travel to so many different parts of the country (including Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Hyderabad etc). I have the best memories of train adventures and waking up somewhere new (like ujjain, Indore, Ahmedabad). I had the adventure of a lifetime but I also learned so much.
I had the opportunity to live in Gandhinagar for more than half a year as a complimentary in my life. I met a very kind lady there, she is an integral part of the Sharma family. She will always be remembered.
Those six years shaped who I am as a person, as an Engineer, and as a researcher. So if you're not sure take that leap of faith. Go live in another part of the country, learn a new language/culture, or do something that scares you. Don't live your life on anyone else's timeline.
A glimpse at my past decade:
1 major career change
2 college (within same university)
1 Bachelor in engineering
1 Master in technology
3 fellowships
2 journal publications (1 in review)
3 journal rejections (2 paper)
2 countries.
same hemispheres lived in
10 years, in love with unknown (recently started with career).
But, when I think about the past decade and all of the adventures I've had, the places I've lived, and the person I've become I have no regrets.
Who else can relates to this?
One of the best and most formative experiences of the last 10 years was the six years I lived in Bhopal, India.
When I decided to go to Bhopal to enrolled in Engineering in 2012 I thought I would stay for a four year but I stayed for six.
My time in Bhopal was liberating, inspiring, and also frustrating. I became a much stronger person. I met some of the kindest and most sincere people. I learned a new incredibly challenging skills. I learned so much about metro life style and modern culture.
In my travels I saw how diverse and beautiful Bhopal is. I was fortunate to travel to so many different parts of the country (including Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Hyderabad etc). I have the best memories of train adventures and waking up somewhere new (like ujjain, Indore, Ahmedabad). I had the adventure of a lifetime but I also learned so much.
I had the opportunity to live in Gandhinagar for more than half a year as a complimentary in my life. I met a very kind lady there, she is an integral part of the Sharma family. She will always be remembered.
Those six years shaped who I am as a person, as an Engineer, and as a researcher. So if you're not sure take that leap of faith. Go live in another part of the country, learn a new language/culture, or do something that scares you. Don't live your life on anyone else's timeline.
A glimpse at my past decade:
1 major career change
2 college (within same university)
1 Bachelor in engineering
1 Master in technology
3 fellowships
2 journal publications (1 in review)
3 journal rejections (2 paper)
2 countries.
same hemispheres lived in
10 years, in love with unknown (recently started with career).

Keep it on to learn new things , and taking challenges. You don't need any competitor as you are chasing your own designed life. Hope new year 2020 will be great for you and your career.
ReplyDeleteThank you, happy New year to you too.
Delete